Guilty pleasures are a good thing. We all work hard, we all worry about getting everything done in time, and we are all stressed out – even if I have to refer to our B-Tech class this year. J Sometimes we need to indulge and by “sometimes”, I mean as often as possible. We all have those special things that “it feels so good” doing, those moments that allow us an escape from the day’s hustle and bustle of it all…
A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The “guilt” involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one’s lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes.
My guilty pleasures are as follows:
1. Ice-cream: OMG! What an amazing word, don’t you think? I am all over the top for ice-cream and I love those sugar cones which you can fill with delicious flavours of your choice. Make me feel like a kid again. So… ice-cream can make you put on some centimetres … OOPS! Luckily there a gym just around the corner.
2. Scary, Alien, horror Movies: Oh yes, love it! It’s so fascinated to watch these movies, all the creepy, ugly, horror scenes just wants you to watch it. For me, it feels like I’m in the movie myself. Yeah, you will probably catch me watching a horror movie on the night that I was supposed to do an assignment, but what can you do if you just received that new horror on your USB from a friend…. WATCH IT!!
3. Shoes….: Fashion is a passion! Well, don’t really have the bucks to spend, but I’ll spend hours in a store (correction – Shoe store) fitting on all types of shoes and just imaging myself owning them. What a big dream to fulfil one day. I will probably have an extra room in my house just for my shoes. Olalla!
4. Movie musicals, the good and bad: I LOVE watching movie musicals. From Grease to Moulin Rouge, Burlesque, Mama Mia and even the Afrikaans musical –“Liefling.” I love them all and I will literally watch them over and over again. I have more musical movies on my laptop than other random movies.
5. Sponge Bob Square pants: Don’t be so surprised, I guarantee that there are many of you who still watch Sponge Bob Squarepants. It is just the best cartoon ever and I always have a laugh. It really brings me back to being myself, and I also feel like I’m a kid again.
6. Play single hit songs over and over: Music is medicine to the ears. Playing that single hit songs over and over again, is just for me to sing along. Feels like I’m on a stage singing my heart out to the crowd, and they liked it!
8. Watching ballet shows/ movies: You will probably think why is this a guilty pleasure? Well to start of, I did ballet for 16 years. I actually feel guilty that I ever stopped dancing. Now I feel by watching ballet shows and movies can please my guiltiness.
9. Sleeping late without being interrupted: Wow, I haven’t done this in a while. I mean lately there just isn’t room in my schedule for sleeping late. Remember when we were younger and during the holidays we could sleep late until the next afternoon. Back then, I didn’t realize how indulgent that was. What I would do for a solid twelve hours of sleep right now.
10. I love scented candles! I love to change scents for the seasons. Having scented candles in your flat or house truly makes you feel at home. Trust me, I’m far from home (Namibia) and my mom used to burn scented candles everyday. I used to hate it, but now it brings back the memories and makes me feel at home.
I indulge in guilty pleasures because I feel those secret little indulgences that you’d rather not admit to can make you a better person and bring out the true you!
I don’t know about you, but I need to fess up.
What are some of YOUR guilty pleasures?